This deadline has passed and is no longer active
The UCLA Clinical and Translational Science Institute (CTSI) will be holding a two-day workshop for investigators at the CTSI partnered institutions (Cedars-Sinai, CDU, Lundquist Institute at Harbor-UCLA, and UCLA) to learn about how to prepare successful R grant applications.
During the first day of this R Grant Writing Workshop, presentations will be made by UCLA CTSI faculty on different topics about preparing R grant applications. During the second day, faculty will review and discuss draft R grant applications and provide feedback on preparing successful applications on an individual basis. NOTE: This is not required for general attendees.
In addition to reviewing fuller draft R applications, attendees are also encouraged to submit just their specific aims for review if they are early in the planning process. This will provide the opportunity for the reviewers to catch any major issues early on before the proposal is developed. NOTE: This is not required for general attendees.
|DAY 1: November 2, 2023, 8:00am-12:00pm|
|Presentations by UCLA CTSI Senior Faculty (CLICK HERE for Day 1 Agenda)
• How to Anticipate and Plan for an R Grant Application• A Tactical Approach to Writing Your Grant Application
• How to Craft the "Significance” & "Innovation" Sections of a Grant Application
• How to Structure the “Approach” Section of a Grant Application
• How to Write the “Specific Aims” Section of a Grant Application
• What Next: When You are not Funded on the First Round
|DAY 2: November 3, 2023, 8:00am-12:00pm|
|Review & Discussion of Draft R Grant Applications and Specific Aims|
|David Elashoff, PhD
|Scott Filler, MD
|Carol Mangione, MD, MSPH
| Tannaz Moin, MD, MBA, MSHS
| William Parks, PhD
| Mitchell Wong, MD, PhD
PRESENTATIONS – Opened to investigators at all levels but registration is still required.
REVIEW & DISCUSSION SESSIONS
A. If I do not submit draft R grant for review, how can I participate in the review and discussion sessions?
You can participate by registering to observe the session as space permits.
B. Who is eligible to submit a draft R grant application for review?
Participants must be a new investigator with a faculty appointment at one of the UCLA CTSI partnered institutions, who have not previously competed successfully as a PD/PI for a substantial NIH independent research award or equivalent. Acceptable grant types for review include R01, R03, R21, VA Merit, subspecialty type research applications (e.g. ADA, AHA, JDF, ATA).
Participants must provide the working title of the grant application and areas of research as instructed in the registration form so that the CTSI can recruit reviewers who can provide initial feedback and potentially long-term mentoring during the development of the application.
C. What do I need to submit to be considered to participate in the Review & Discussion Session?
If you are selected to participate in the review process, a view-only version of your materials will be distributed over Box to ALL attendees for that session in addition to your assigned reviewers. Your view-only files will be removed from Box at the end of Day 2 of the workshop.
Please submit the items below by 5PM on October 6, 2023 through the Workshop Draft Grant Submission Website. Link to the submission website will be emailed to those who have registered to submit a draft grant. You may refer to the NIH website for page limits for R grant applications.
| DRAFT R GRANT APPLICATIONS
||DRAFT SPECIFIC AIMS ONLY|
|• NIH Biosketch
• Draft R grant application at any stage of development.
o Specific Aims
o Research Strategy
o Bibliography & References Cited
o NIH Summary Statement (resubmissions only)
o Introduction to Resubmission and Revision Applications (resubmissions only)
|• NIH Biosketch
• Specific Aims
• Bibliography & References Cited
• View slides from previous R Workshops at: https://ctsi.ucla.edu/education/pages/edtools#ktor
• Request access to the UCLA CTSI Grant Library of funded NIH Grant applications at: https://www.ctsi.ucla.edu/funding/pages/sample
• Summary of NIH and NSF Requirements: https://ctsi.ucla.edu/funding/pages/requirements
• Boilerplate Text: https://ctsi.ucla.edu/funding/pages/boilerplates
• NIH Human Subjects and Clinical Trials: https://ctsi.ucla.edu/pages/HSapps
• New NIH "FORMS-H" Grant Application Forms and Instructions Coming for Due Dates on or after January 25, 2023: https://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/notice-files/NOT-OD-22-195.html
If you have questions, please email CTSIWD@mednet.ucla.edu.