The curriculum for Track 2 fellows is a two-year program. Successful completion qualifies participants for a CTSI Training Program in Clinical & Translational Research Certificate. Participation in Track 2 of the CTSI Training Programs is looked at favorably by K23 Study Sections: UCLA has twenty-nine K23's.
Track 2 fellows audit the lectures and seminars below. UCLA courses can be taken for credit by registering and paying fees through Extension. Individuals also have the option of satisfying several of the program requirements at Harbor-UCLA and Cedars-Sinai Medical Center. The audit option requires no fees, but no formal graduate credit is given. For additional information or to register for individual courses, please contact the Program Coordinator.
These courses are all located at UCLA; compatible courses available at Harbor-UCLA are identified with "HU" and compatible courses available at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center are identified with "CS". Courses which are presented at UCLA but are also available via videoconferencing to our partner sites at Harbor-UCLA, Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, and Charles R. Drew University are identified with "VC" following the course title.
Biomathematics/Biostatistics. There are four statistics course options based on prior preparation and interest. Track 2 fellows complete one of the four options, A, B, C, or D (two quarters total):
Option A (for those with little statistics preparation, most medically relevant, recommended best option):
BIOMATH 170A: Introductory Biomathematics for Medical Investigators, Fall Qtr (VC, CS) Note: required for ICPTP/T32 trainees.
Option B (for those with more advanced statistics preparation, most medically relevant):
Option C (for those with little statistics preparation and/or time conflict with Option A):
Option D (for those with some statistics preparation):
In addition to one of the above options, the following four courses are also required:
3. BIOMATH 259: Controversies in Clinical Trials, Winter Qtr (VC)
4. BIOMATH/MED M261 - Responsible Conduct of Research Involving Humans: This certificate course is also required as part of IRB grant approval. Fall Qtr (VC, CS)
5. Clinical Pharmacology is a broad-based discipline, which bridges basic pharmacology and clinical medicine. Completion of one of the following is required (both required for ICPTP/T32 trainees):
6. Completion of one of the following is required:
7. Monthly Meetings: All Track 2 fellows are required to attend the Monthly Meeting (third Tuesday of the month from 11:30AM-1:00PM, lunch included) and participate in three presentations. Click here for more details.
8. Clinical Research Development Seminars. Attendance and completion of a minimum of 3 modules is required for Track 2 certification. These seminars/modules are also a part of the curriculum for Track 1 and the medical students' Pathway. Click here for more details.